(meteorobs) Quadrantids Pictures and Videos

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Thu Jan 5 10:30:24 EST 2012

Hi Mike-

That camera is about 1/10 as sensitive to meteors as a Watec, Mintron,
or Supercircuits B&W camera with a Rainbow lens, and from what I've seen
playing with handyavi, the software misses a lot of events that would be
caught by programs designed specifically for meteor detection, and not
just motion capture.

I had 70 meteors (68 Quadrantids) on my setup the morning of Jan 4,
http://www.cloudbait.com/science/quadrantid2012.html, under very dark
skies. So I'd expect your camera to have only caught a handful, which is
consistent with your catching none at all given that you're still trying
to figure out the software. I'm assuming you weren't capturing the
signal in an integration mode, where frames are combined to simulate
longer exposures. That will really knock down your sensitivity to
meteors- for the same reason that DSLRs are fairly insensitive to them.
The ideal exposure time to catch meteors is right around 1/30 second-
much longer, and sky background fogs the path.

The Orion product isn't really a meteor camera, but rather a fireball
camera, and at least for me, this shower didn't produce as many bright
events as many other showers. That's been my experience with the
Quadrantids in general- it seems to produce meteors of somewhat uniform
brightness.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory