(meteorobs) Glass domes (was "Whizzer" - magnified anddissected)

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Sat Jan 7 10:58:38 EST 2012

An optical glass like BK7 has an index of refraction of ~1.5, as does
acrylic. Glass is somewhat less dispersive (Abbe 64) then acrylic (Abbe
55). So on the whole, the two materials are optically similar, and will
show the same degree of internal reflection with respect to off-axis
light hitting a dome.

Again, the key to minimizing these kinds of effects is to make sure the
entrance pupil is at the center of curvature of the dome- and that is
true whatever the dome is made of.

Glass has two advantages- it is mechanically more robust, and it can be
ground to a very precise surface. In the case of a dome for an allsky
camera, the first is possibly important, depending on environment. As a
dome weathers, its surface (or bulk) starts scattering light, which
isn't good, and plastic usually weathers faster than glass. The second
advantage probably isn't so important, since a molded acrylic dome can
be optically accurate to the point that it isn't the limiting optical
element.

Unless you use a ground glass dome (expensive!), acrylic domes are
likely to be more accurate optically, because they are precision molded,
whereas glass domes are usually made by a slumping process. The
resulting glass dome will have a less uniform wall thickness, and
therefore greater optical aberrations.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory