(meteorobs) 42 second plus long "Earth-skimmer" - a little more info

Ed Cannon edcannonsat at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 22 17:56:32 EST 2012

I'm a layman but anyway did make an unsuccessful attempt to come up
with a candidate using satellite orbital elements.  One problem could
be that there are many many thousands of artificial objects in orbit
that are smaller than ten centimeters, for which no orbital data are
published -- if the data exist at all.  How large (and dense) does an
artificial object have to be to make a decent fireball that would last
40 seconds?  (I wonder how many of these very small artificial objects
re-enter over what period of time....)

By the way, Thomas, what was the magnitude of the fireball?  Also, was
it varying in brightness along its track?  It seemed like it to me,
but I don't have the best system for viewing a video like that.

Maybe you got a very unusual meteor.  Did anyone else record or see it?

Ed Cannon -- Austin, Texas