(meteorobs) 42 second plus long "Earth-skimmer" - a little more info

Thomas Ashcraft ashcraft at heliotown.com
Sun Jan 22 19:08:40 EST 2012

On 1/22/12 3:56 PM, Ed Cannon wrote:

> By the way, Thomas, what was the magnitude of the fireball?  Also, was
> it varying in brightness along its track?  It seemed like it to me,
> but I don't have the best system for viewing a video like that.
>
> Maybe you got a very unusual meteor.  Did anyone else record or see it?
>
> Ed Cannon -- Austin, Texas

Hi Ed, Jim W, and all,

Thanks for checking.

Magnitude was -5 or so.  It might have had a terminal burst after it
disappeared from my camera view into eastern sunlight.  Not sure. There
was a radio burst a few seconds later but that may have been from
different meteor.

There is one other camera view posted from a Los Alamos Sentinel camera.
http://skysentinel.nmsu.edu/allsky/viewer/174594

Unfortunately, the Los Alamos camera did not catch the beginning nor the
end of the fireball.  ( Also to Jim Wooddell) I have an old version of
the Sentinel capture software which caught 12 seconds of the fireball
but my secondary full-time video system caught it all. My secondary
system is not a capture type system but is rather just a simple
continuous video stream onto hard disk and it almost always captures the
full meteor event.

Thomas