(meteorobs) Perseids in Maui

David McCarter dmccarter at sympatico.ca
Thu Jul 19 11:07:54 EDT 2012

I just came back from Maui, and the image that immediately came to
mind was the ocean of cloud surrounding the mountain, as seen from the
summit.  As you may know, there is an excellent parking lot at the
crater overlook near the summit. That's where horse rides leave to
tour the crater. There are spots near the washrooms and tucked in
behind the interpretive centre where the observer is shielded from the
constant winds.  Or you can tuck in behind your car.  Skies are really
dark there, although while I was there doing astro-photography a car
would occasionally come into the parking lot and sweep it with it's
lights. Not sure if that was a Park Ranger or a visitor.  And of
course there are washrooms.  Did I mention it is really dark there, as
good as the Haleakala Amateur astronomers location on the summit.

Dave McCarter
London, Ont.