(meteorobs) Perseids in Maui

Jay Salsburg jsalsburg at bellsouth.net
Thu Jul 19 14:13:27 EDT 2012

The closest good darkness to LA is the Needles Freeway East, halfway between
Barstow and Needles, about a 2.5 hour drive from Hollywood out I-15 to I-40.
The views are spectacular from there, 2 to 3 thousand foot altitude. There
is little airglow from nearby cities in the East and South. The only place
better would be North on 395 approaching Olancha, a 3 hour drive from LA,
very good darkness and high altitude from the highway. There is a
Governement Installation with lights North of Ridgecrest, go another 25
miles to the Haiwee Reservoir for zero airglow facing East.