(meteorobs) Radio meteors listening??

Wayne Sanders wsanders at xplornet.com
Mon Jul 30 10:12:23 EDT 2012

Mike
	There are three locations in Western Canada Northern BC using
61.240mhz.  Target stations are near on Manitoba, Saskatchewan boarder,
  Stanaer at 1004 km and Warmely at 1460 km. both are using - offset and
are about 30 hz apart in freq. A forth location in Kelowna which is near
the US border is using as well this frequency. There is a station in
Calgary Alberta also using a ch3 frequency. We have not seen any drop in
counts or station operation. "perhaps it is our more northern location
and such that has allowed the tv licensees to
remain on the air with analogue signals."  What I have read on Canadian
Government Web sites is that those licenses with low power repeaters
will not likely be required to go digital for some time if every. Now to
put this in perspective. There is a 100.000 watt mono fm station locally
that is quoted as being a a low power repeater.
	Now for some details all of the northern bc stations are using a
horizontal full wave loop about 7 to 8 feet in air. The Alberta station
also a loop.  The Kelowna station is a 5 element log periodic none of
these stations are using any type of preamp most are using 75
"ohm coax tv type"  I am using 1 1/2 inch helax which accounts perhaps
for a higher count than others.
	I would suggest you try a horz. loop antenna they are very inexpensive
to build and install try for a short spell and see if it is a help.
	I also have a spread sheet with all the Canadian tv stations on it
including low power translators "column R allows you to enter your lat.
and long. to arrive at distances.  I would send this and a photo of my
horizontal loop if you provide a off list address.
check out  > http://www.rmob.org/livedata/main.php3

Booth = Calgary
Brower = Kelowna
Harris = Prince George City
Rasc Prince George Center = south Prince George
Sanders = Reid Lake

--
Wayne Sanders
  ASPPG and Member RASC Prince George Center