(meteorobs) Jupiter's effect on Sunspot High & Meteor Inducded Sporadic E

wa3ygq_1 at juno.com wa3ygq_1 at juno.com
Sun Jun 10 06:36:44 EDT 2012

This is an attempt to see if Poole's statement in the first two attachments is valid.  It appears that the number of meteors reaching the Earth reaches a peak around the trough or bottom of the Sunspot Cycle,ie the two effects are about 180 degrees out of phase. This means there is an improvement in meteor scatter propagation when the HF bands are at their minimum. (first attachment top)  One interesting link has been noted as it appears that the sunspot cycle has some effect on temporate zone Sporadic E. It has been seen that the number of openings increases during the period of the sunspot minima. According to Poole when we have a low meteor count we also have a decrease in Sporadic E counts as he would say 180 degrees out of phase and this would occur at our present Solar cycle highs. This fits nicely with meteor induced Sporadic E. The next attachment is from my research into the subject; the American Geophysical Unions 5 year study on both parameters, the daily VHF sporadic meteor counts and the daily Sporadic E critical frequencies. The last four peaks to the right years 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005 are not much different from each other. I maintain that these yearly maximum meteor and maximum Sporadic E critical frequencies are due to our Summer Daytime Meteor Steam Trilogy of the Arietids, Zeta Perseids and Beta Taurids. The vallies of both parameters on the AGU chart are due to the March time frame of minimum meteors.At first glance the peaks of the years 2000 and 2001 appear to be an anomaly when compared to the rest. From K7SZ's 2nd edition of his book Low Power Communication page 7-1 we find that Solar Cycle 23 had two smoothed  Sunspot peaks first was April of 2000 with a count of 120 and November 2001 with a count of 115. This appears on the AGU study for the first two years, 2000 and 2001 as a distortion in both meteor counts and Sporadic E critical frequencies. The next 2 attachments are information on Cycle 23 from the internet showing the Sunspot cycle high of the first two years of the AGU study and how as the Sunspot number and solar flux goes down the last 4 years become more stable with regards to the meteor counts and Sporadic E critical frequencies. So we now have a Sunspot high on the AGU study we can look closer at these years and in 2000 we had a decrease in meteor counts (lines) and possibly a decrease in Sporadic E. The next attachment is the 'Radio-Eyes' screen dump of June 15th 2000 during our Sporadic E season. WE should all know that Jupiter has the greatest gravitational effect of all the planets on both meteor debris and the Sun itself. Jupiter is between the Arietids at about 3 hours right ascension (top vertical lines) and the Zeta Perseids at 4 hours right ascension. Jupiter is still aways from the Beta Taurids at about 6 hours right ascension. These daytime meteor streams are all near +20 degrees declination, the horizontal lines. Did Jupiter steal our meteors giving the AGU study the low meteor count for the year 2000 and influence the low Sporadic E critical frequencies?? Was Jupiter the cause of the Sunspot high for cycle 23 in 2000??This gets even better during the second peak of cycle 23 in 2001--the next attachment is the 'Radio-Eyes' screen dump of 2001 June 15 during the Summer Sporadic E season here Jupiter is behind the Sun and very close to the Beta Taurids at 6 hours right ascension + 20 degrees declination. I have found the Beta Taurids the most influential of the daytime meteor streams with regards to Sporadic E. Look at the effect of Jupiter on the AGU study of 2005 for the year 2001 around the peak, The meteor counts (lines) have disappeared and the Sporadic E critical frequencies have dropped considerably.This is Jupiter's biggest effect on the two solar cycle 23 peaks.Now lets compare the screen dumps of 2000 and 2001. Jupiter has moved from just before 4 hours right ascension in 2000 to the Sun's position just before 6 hours right ascension. Thats 2 hours of right ascension in one year with this velocity to the East (left of the screen). Since we have 24 hours of right ascension in one year it would take Jupiter about 12 years to return to this same position. This is Jupiters orbital period and I found the following times for an orbital period of Jupiter on the internet all in Earth time; 12 years 11 years 314 days, 11.862615 years, 11.87 years, 4335 days and  4332.82 days. I believe that cycle 24 is predicted to peak this year 2012 and the next 2013. Completely in agreement with Jupiters return time. The next attachment  "Radio-Eyes" screen dump was for June 5 2012 just 5 days ago. It is a close up view of the sky and as you can see 12 years later that Jupiter is once again between 3 and 4 hours right ascension or between the Arietids and Zeta Perseids. The Sun is in the horns of Taurus the Bull's constellation. Has Jupiter repeated itself bringing forth Cycle 24 sunspot highs and low meteor counts with low Sporadic E counts?For what will happen in 2013 the next screen dump shows that once again Jupiter is near the Beta Taurids.  Will Jupiter give us two solar cycle peaks in 2013? Will Jupiter steal meteors from the Earth giving a low meteor count and low count of Sporadic E openings?  Conclusion: Mr. Poole was right. The common denominator effecting both Sunspot highs and meteor induced Sporadic E appears to be Jupiter.  Both the solar propagationist and the meteor induced sporadic E observer would do well to study Jupiter's orbit to predict Solar Cycle Highs and Sporadic E openings. 73's Bob WA3YGQ

NetZero now offers 4G mobile broadband. Sign up now.