(meteorobs) Daytime fireball near Colorado Springs

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Jun 20 17:20:52 EDT 2012

I've received several reports (as have the local news stations) of a
bright meteor observed northeast of Colorado Springs at ~12:45 PM MDT.
Estimates place the duration ~3s, initial height as much as 45° and
final height at or near the horizon (actual range is probably between
those). Bright white extending to yellow then red, trail at least 5°
long. No reports of a persistent train. Some thought more east, some
more north.

If any of you folks who like playing with radar are interested, this one
might be worth a closer look. It's not on any of my meteor cameras, and
I haven't heard of anybody catching it on accidental video.

Chris