(meteorobs) British bolide last night - some videos & reports

Robert Lunsford lunro.imo.usa at cox.net
Mon Mar 5 12:04:05 EST 2012

Tony and All,

Perhaps the SPA has a more experienced audience compared to the AMS, especially in the British Isles. We would not expect the general public to be highly accurate with magnitude estimates. This is one reason we listed magnitude estimates in at least two step increments. Still, a majority of contributors will choose an estimate of "brighter than the full moon" regards of the true brightness.

Clear Skies,

Robert Lunsford
American Meteor Society

---- Tony Markham <tonymarkham832 at btinternet.com> wrote:
> Robert,

The magnitudes shown in this table are very much at odds with those reported to the Meteor Section of the Society for Popular Astronomy. These are generally in the range of -4 to -10. Images of the fireball typically show it being bright initially and then becoming fainter towards the end. It seems to have been moving in a general north to south direction, with observers in Scotland and northern England seeing it best. By southern England it only reached about 30 deg altitude in the northern sky.

Tony