(meteorobs) British bolide last night - some videos & reports

Skywayinc at aol.com Skywayinc at aol.com
Mon Mar 5 12:13:45 EST 2012

In a message dated 3/5/2012 12:04:49 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
lunro.imo.usa at cox.net writes:

Perhaps the SPA has a more experienced audience compared to the AMS,
especially in the British Isles. We would not expect the general public to be
highly accurate with magnitude estimates. This is one reason we listed
magnitude  estimates in at least two step increments. Still, a majority of
contributors  will choose an estimate of "brighter than the full moon" regards of
the true  brightness.

A week ago, when the 4-day old moon was in conjunction with Venus, I  posed
a question to a number of people: "Which appears brighter to you, the  moon
or Venus?"  Everyone who I asked said the same thing: "Venus."   But on
that particular night, the moon was actually brighter by some 3.5  magnitudes
(a brightness ratio 25 times that of Venus).  Of course,  the reason that
Venus was the overwhelming favorite was because it appears to  the eye as a
dazzling point, whereas the crescent moon's light was spread out  over a half
degree of sky.

-- joe rao