(meteorobs) Fwd: [IMO-News] Fireball over UK, 2012 March 3, circa 21:42 UT

Casper ter Kuile (Home) casper.ter.kuile at xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 7 17:35:27 EST 2012

Dear Colleagues:

I've taken the unusual step of posting here because this very persistent, but
apparently natural, fireball has attracted a great deal of interest in the UK
and across the globe, judging by the mass of e-mails I've received since the
event occurred.

At present, the complete tally of sightings looks likely to be around 300, as
I've received or been notified of more than that so far. However, as you may
imagine, I am still attempting to identify duplicates!

In addition, the object's longevity (probably 30-45 seconds or more) meant a
significant number of people managed to image part of the flight, especially the
latter stages, which has helped create further publicity.

I have already posted details from my preliminary analysis of the first 43 more
complete reports that arrived within 24 hours of the event happening, at:

http://www.popastro.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16810

on the SPA's Observing Forum. My intention is to update that topic as more data
becomes available, and I would ask if you or any of your contacts require
information about the event, but have no observations to send, that you refer
people to that topic rather than writing to me! Everyone who wrote/writes to me
will get a reply eventually, but for those who did not see the event, that could
be some weeks away.

The end of the trail, over southern England, was much better observed than the
start, which looks to have been around 1000 km further north, probably somewhere
between the Orkney, Shetland and Faeroe Islands.

What I would ask is that if anyone has received sightings probably of this
meteor from the Faeroes or even Iceland, or ships at sea in the area north of
Scotland, I would welcome having as full a report as possible on what was seen
and when.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance!

Alastair McBeath,
Meteor Director, Society for Popular Astronomy.
E-mail: <meteor at popastro.com <mailto:meteor%40popastro.com>> (messages under 150
kB in size only, please)