(meteorobs) Strange fireball photograph from 1994

LEO STACHOWICZ l.stachowicz at btinternet.com
Sat Mar 10 17:29:04 EST 2012

Hello all,

Here is an interesting photograph of a fireball I came across earlier. I can't remember ever having seen a meteor/fireball photograph like it.

Towards the end of the fireball's path, the path appears to be "stepped". I don't think this is a photographic/scanner artifact or aliasing. The only thing that I can think of that might have caused this is fragmentation of the meteoroid. I'd be interested to hear what other meteorobs subscribers thoughts are on this one.

http://epod.usra.edu/blog/2011/01/fireball-breakup.html

(click on the photograph for a larger version)

Clear skies,
Leo