(meteorobs) Beginning next nightly VLF/ELF monitoring campaign

James Beauchamp falcon99 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 16 00:41:54 EDT 2012

WOW!

--- On Thu, 3/15/12, Thomas Ashcraft <ashcraft at heliotown.com> wrote:

From: Thomas Ashcraft <ashcraft at heliotown.com>
Subject: (meteorobs) Beginning next nightly VLF/ELF monitoring campaign
To: "Global Meteor Observing Forum" <meteorobs at meteorobs.org>
Date: Thursday, March 15, 2012, 10:53 AM

I am beginning another phase of VLF/ELF nightly meteor (and transient luminous event) observation. My last year long VLF/ELF campaign was in 2009.

Monitoring VLF/ELF in conjunction with VHF scatter is really helpful
because often there is ionization evident at VHF just before the meteor
becomes visible as light on camera.

Here is a meteor from this morning, Mar 15, 2012. This particular meteor goes into the inconclusive direct VLF/ELF emission
category but maybe there will be a clear pattern that will develop over time.

Windows
http://www.heliotown.com/FBv20120315_125246ut_Ashcraft.wmv

Mac
http://www.heliotown.com/FBv20120315_125246ut_Ashcraft.mp4

I am waiting for much larger meteors with mid-flight flaring and
terminal bursting. Here is the best specimen from my last VLF/ELF campaign:
http://www.heliotown.com/Fireball_20091009_Ashcraft.html

  Thomas Ashcraft in New Mexico