(meteorobs) VLF Meteor Observations

drobnock drobnock at penn.com
Tue Mar 20 09:43:48 EDT 2012

Hi
Thomas Ashcraft and Jean Claude and others have been in the process of
receiving VLF signatures from meteors. I believe the signatures they are
receiving are meteors with visual magnitudes of plus 5 or greater.
Although this information is not always given. Also they are showing
some correlation between forward scatter and VLF noise generated by the
meteor. The forward scatter frequency is identified in  the 40 to 100
mhz range.

My question is, those conducting observations to detect VLF signatures,
are you using a broad frequency response with your receivers  -- .01 to
100khz -- or are you conducting your observations with in a know
received frequency? Whilst doing my observations, my receiver is tuned
to 3200 hertz or 3.2 khz with a third  harmonic detectable.  I am not
automated, so by observations are visual and unfiltered.  I would be
interested in your responses.
George John Drobnock