(meteorobs) VLF Meteor Observations

James Beauchamp falcon99 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 21 08:12:24 EDT 2012

Hi Guys,
Sorry for not replying sooner.  I've been reading these posts with extreme interest.
I'm currently running a Space Radar scatter system with a NMSU Sandia Sentinel camera.  Many concurrent events have been captured.
On thing I'm curious about with VLF....  The physics is a little confusing to me.  I don't think a lot of study has occurred here.  Yes, there are probably some broad spectrum products from the electron emissions, but I'm thinking there is something else going on beyond the "first order" (for lack of a better term) dynamics.
One thought is that the free electrons released as the trail forms interacts with Earth's magnetic field, creating a magnetic "front", which could interact with other things.  Maybe a natural, low-intensity EMP generator is at work up there.
Another possibility - maybe in some strange combination with the first - is a synchotron-like effect.
About 80% of over-dense events observed here have head echos.  The velocity is very high, and if the apparent velocity of the electron flux is enough to produce E-M spectral signatures such as the "head echos", the possibility exists for other unknown interactions such as magnetic field compression.  Free electrons with a lot of energy populate these altitudes, and as we have seen with Jupiter and our own exo-planetary field environment, those electrons do weird things in high-impulse conditions.  Wave fronts accelerate particles and spin off electrons in peculiar ways.  You may be seeing a product or products of those.
Not making any over-arching claims, just throwing out that there are a lot of things we may not know, and maybe should study.   Meteors are excellent sources of momentary free electron clouds, at interesting altitudes.
I should have taken the researcher career route  :(