(meteorobs) bright flash in sky over Los Angeles 3/29/2012 6:29am

jason utas jasonutas at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 03:30:12 EDT 2012

Hello All,

This morning wile driving NE on the 10 at N. Soto Street in Los Angeles, my
father and I noticed a spectacular brightening of the pre-dawn sky (through
moderately dense fog!) that illuminated all surroundings for 1-2 seconds --
long enough for me to look around and left towards USC's Keck Medical
Center, which was illuminated to the point of being colorless/white
(brighter than midday).  I saw it as a running succession of 2-3 flashes,
but my father stated that he observed a single continuous brightening.

I believe what we saw was the terminal burst of a large bolide, but was
unable to gather any additional observations due to the fog.  Does anyone
know if it might be worthwhile to look at radar for the area?  I looked at
my cellphone moments after the burst (Verizon is my carrier) and the clock
read 6:29am.

I have no further information as to the direction/location of the burst;
the fog lit up, as did everything else in sight.  Since the face of the
hospital was well-lit by the event, I think it unlikely that the burst
occurred to the northwest of our location, but I do not know how fog might
diffuse light from such an event.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.  I've been trolling the internet for
the past several hours, to no avail.

Thanks,
Jason Utas