(meteorobs) Meteor and possible red sprite intersection

Thomas Ashcraft ashcraft at heliotown.com
Wed May 23 14:46:23 EDT 2012

While doing red sprite observing on May 20, 2012 I captured one image of
sprites that appear to be intersecting with meteors. Interestingly,
sprites may have a connection to space dust and meteors and there are
some research papers on the subject.

I posted an image that was taken with a modified Canon XS DSLR which has
near infrared sensitivity and also a video with ELF-VLF and 2.5 MHz
radio emissions.
http://www.heliotown.com/Sprite_May_20_2012_044541UT.html

In the video the tallest sprite element has a bend at the top possibly
towards the meteor trail.

Here are a couple of sprite/Meteor research paper links:
http://www.agu.org/pubs/crossref/1999/1999JD900962.shtml
http://www.mendeley.com/research/meteor-trails-columniform-sprites-4/

Thomas Ashcraft in New Mexico