(meteorobs) October 30th 2012 Fireball Over Southern Mid-West USA

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Thu Nov 1 01:00:39 EDT 2012

I believe that the practical difference between the HAD and HAD II
sensor is pretty insignificant for meteor work. Avoiding color sensors
is critical, however, if the goal is to detect faint meteors and not
just fireballs. At 30 fps, sensitivity is largely determined by readout
noise, not quantum efficiency. At best, the HAD II offers a couple dB
improvement in sensitivity at normal video frame rates. To achieve the
maximum sensitivity requires longer integration times, on the order of a
second or two. Many security cameras offer this (called sense-up, or
other names), but the feature is not desirable for meteor work, as you
lose timing information and the increased sky background actually
results in lower sensitivity to meteors than you see at 30 fps.

Sensors with significantly lower readout noise may prove useful for
meteor work, but the biggest immediate improvement comes from getting
rid of the analog video interface completely. Not only does that
interface typically reduce the dynamic range it's possible to capture
from the sensor, but the digitization process introduces _significant_
geometric errors, which limit the accuracy of calculated centroids, both
of astrometric references, and most seriously, of meteors.
Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any inexpensive low-light cameras using
HAD sensors which incorporate digital interfaces
(USB/Firewire/Ethernet). When I find one, though, it will quickly find
its way into one of my meteor cameras!

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory