(meteorobs) Large fireball over eastern New Mexico Nov 09 2012

Robert Lunsford lunro.imo.usa at cox.net
Fri Nov 9 15:29:25 EST 2012

Thomas and All,

Well I would not expect another Tunguska Event but there is the possibility that we are seeing a larger number of Taurid fireballs than usual. These Taurid swarms are periodic and 2012 is a borderline possibility that we are encountering the outlying portion of such a swarm. From now through the time the moon begins to interfere again (around November 24th) would be prime time to try and watch for this activity. After this year, the next opportunity to view a high number of Taurid fireballs should be 2015, which should be significantly better than 2012.

Bob