(meteorobs) New meteor radar product - active meteor showers

Jay Salsburg jsalsburg at bellsouth.net
Wed Nov 14 14:47:21 EST 2012

May I comment?

RADAR, that is, DOPPLER RADAR is a quirky thing. If you are using Forward
Scatter RADAR like the all-too-familiar Police RADAR Gun or
Dashboard-mounted units, the actual velocity of the moving car is a product
of the Doppler frequency times the Cosine of the angle across the road of
the RADAR beam. That is why you get that sweeping frequency effect as the
Car (or Meteor) passes relative to the Beam whether Forward or Back Scatter.

Since Meteors are leaving trails that reflect the RADAR energy, these trails
are not going the speed of the Meteor, these trails are much slower, yet
they can be going hundreds or even thousands of MPH and sometimes slow down
to near zero at the end of their demise. The Doppler energy from Back
Scatter is never indicating the actual speed of the trail because of that
Cosine Angle thing, the actual velocity is always higher. If you can
calculate the angle of incidence of each audio sample (a three-space
calculation), it would be possible to assign a compensating multiplier to
each sample thereby coming close to the speed of the trail, not the speed of
the Meteor. This would require some kind of video record of the trail that
very closely matched the Doppler Audio sample's time signatures, a very
difficult task indeed.

Ten years ago I embarked and succeeded in a project to create Doppler RADAR
Software and Hardware to eliminate the Hardware restriction of dedicated
devices for measuring velocity with RADAR, any RADAR. My Software is
adaptable to any Carrier frequency RADAR 50 MHz or 70 GHz, it does not
matter and will display the moving objects velocity graphically. My software
has extreme accuracy, better than the hardware devices used to calibrate
most any RADAR system, rendering these hardware devices obsolete.

My software could be adapted to Back Scatter Meteor RADAR with a modest
amount of work, I have not attempted to do this because SpecLab does a good
job of display, but SpecLab does not indicate velocity as my software does.
My Software can also output the high resolution Doppler sample bins to Excel
for subsequent charting.

Jay Salsburg