(meteorobs) Weird - Radio meteors - yes...

Paul Goelz pgoelz at comcast.net
Thu Nov 15 14:18:04 EST 2012

At 11:09 AM 11/15/2012, you wrote:
>  Well, not sure what to think anymore. I was using 67.24 MHz the Ch.4  and
>messed with my filter putting the frequency back up to 83.24 MHz Ch. 6
>and
>began hearing meteors - of course not like the old days 70'/s hr ect but a
>few more than the 67 range.

Since 50MHz propagation seemed enhanced last night I tuned my
receiver and spectrogram to the ATSC channel 2 video carrier
frequency minus 1KHz and actually saw some meteors.  They were
infrequent and faint (maybe an order of magnitude or more below the
level I see on the analog channel 2 frequencies), but they were
definitely there along with an occasional overdense trace.  This
afternoon, they are EXTREMELY faint.  I am assuming that the ATSC
video carrier is nowhere near as powerful as the analog carrier
was.  That, or the closest transmitter to me is a very long ways away.

Paul

Paul Goelz
pgoelz at comcast.net
Rochester Hills, MI