(meteorobs) FW: New meteor radar product - active meteor showers

James Beauchamp falcon99 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 15 16:31:55 EST 2012

Remember this is the bi-static case, so the Doppler shift is the sum of the two range rates (tx to target and target to rx).

The large Doppler shift rate (head echo) is due to the pseudo velocity of the initial trail as the ionized line forms. After that terminates, it becomes the velocity of the ion cloud, with some minor frequency products from the expansion rate and density differences along the trail.

Sent from my iPhone