(meteorobs) Leonids enhanced on 20 Nov 2012 near 6 UT

Michel Vandeputte michelvandeputte at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 20 04:54:31 EST 2012

Hi Geert,

Very nice observing report on the Leonids!

I was able to observe between 03:10 - 04:35 UT under not so ideal observing conditions (a mix of clear periods and some thinny cirrus and some lower clouds within the observing field but never critical). In the first hour from 3:10 - 4:10 UT (Lm ~6.2), I observed no Leonid activity at all (17 sporadics and 1 Taurid).
In the last interval from 4:10 - 4:35 UT, I counted  3 sporadics and 3 Leonids; all during the last  10 minutes of the observing session (Magn +2 / +0 / +1)! Perhaps  this was the beginning of the enhancement?? At 4:35 UT clouds rolled in from the southwest so  I lost the last observing hour before twillight.... Damned!

Long trains,

Michel Vandeputte