(meteorobs) some minor IAU MDC bookkeeping stuff

grs_longs at Safe-mail.net grs_longs at Safe-mail.net
Wed Oct 3 14:47:49 EDT 2012

Not worthy of trying to publish, I've noticed a couple of things in recent times, in passing.

First, here's a paper of the Andromedids returning :-

http://arxiv.org/abs/1209.5980

in all particulars this looks to be a co-discovery with the December phi Cassiopeiids :-

<http://www.astro.amu.edu.pl/~jopek/MDC2007/Roje/pojedynczy_obiekt.php?kodstrumienia=00446&colecimy=0>

although I don't know what paper the latter is pointing to.

I don't know where these come from :-

<http://www.astro.amu.edu.pl/~jopek/MDC2007/Roje/pojedynczy_obiekt.php?kodstrumienia=00503&colecimy=0>

but they have been included despite defying the strict IAU Nomenclatural rules by using a Flamsteed star.  I know they're strict, because I failed to slip the 23 Pegasids in (even though I'd read the rules, several candidate bayer stars were equidistant and/or already used).

I'm a bit lost with the September Lyncids, September-October Lyncids and October Lyncids.  They agree well to very well in all particulars, except are evidently distinct according to their Solar Longitudes.  Are these aspects of a family?  Vgeo is high throughout, so it can't be an ecliptic thing.  I've never been overly fond of the month thing with meteor shower naming, but am led to believe it is a bit of a favourite with one of the nomenclature committee.  Thing is, I see that given these new projects like CAMS and to some extent SonotaCo we'll be having names like "early" and "late" December {greekletter} constellationids before long, for example.

Can anyone kindly tell me where the reference to the new CAMS showers in the IAU MDC is please, I've been having no luck using ADSABS.  I know it's likely that some are in SonotaCo data too, with two of the Cassopeia ones being a chance of being fossil Perseid orbits, but so far I've only been able to find the IAU MDC entries.  Ostensibly only after formal publication in a refereed source can IAU MDC inclusion occur, by the rules.  Peter J. is on the IAU MDC committee, these things are in the IAU MDC database, I can't find hide nor hair of mention of a paper.  That reads far worse than I mean it to, but there's likely to be an explosion in showers soon, and these sort of things worry me, whether rightly or wrongly, they worry me.

It was hard enough in the past to find any literature on anything meteoric.  I can't study stuff if I can't look things up! ;)

And if we're going to have rules to fix the old mess and prepare the way for future explosions, can we have them please?

Cheers

John G.