(meteorobs) Dark Subtracts with a typical allsky camera

Wayne Watson sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 4 21:13:50 EDT 2012

I have a Rainbow L163VCS (has an iris) camera with a Sony HB-710EC
allsky lens. If I want to do a dark subtract, I cover the lens with dark
material, and take say 16 frames, which I then stack. I can do the same
for an open dark sky. The purpose is of course to bring out faint stars,
which one can use to get a sky mapped with RA/DEC coordinates. Are there
modestly priced cameras and software that can do this instead?

--

              The highest altitude a cat has leaped from and lived
              is 42 floors. A study in one city reveals that

                   “Darwin loves you."  -- Bumper sticker
                   Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>