(meteorobs) Negative 2012 Draconid visual report from north Florida

Paul Jones jonesp0854 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 09:06:39 EDT 2012

Hello all,
    I managed to get in a brief visual look through a sucker hole in the
cold front that was passing through north Florida last night (October 8,
2012).  I ws checking to see if anything was left of the Draconid outburst,
but saw no meters at all during the 25 minute watch from 7:48 p.m. to 8:13
p.m. EDT from my yard here in St. Augustine.   Limiting Magnitude was
pretty good, about 5.5 magnitude through the sucker hole, so I figured I
had a good shot of seeing something from them if it was still occurring,
but only saw a few airplanes and heard a few mating Barred Owls.
 After 8:13 p.m., the front's clouds reclaimed the sky and that was pretty
much that.  I felt fortunate though just to have had the opportunity to
check it out.  Had I been lucky enough for something to have been still
going on, I would have at least gotten a "piece of the action".   It's all
good.
 My sincerest compliments go out to the various worldwide researchers who
are doing such amazing and accurate work predicting the occurance of these
outbursts.  Well done and thank you on behalf of all meteor folks, we do so
appreciate (and love to validate) all  your hard work!!  On to the 2012
Orionids...

Clear skies all, Paul in north Florida