(meteorobs) Advice for capturing daytime visual fireballs?

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Oct 17 12:09:38 EDT 2012

In general, detecting daytime fireballs is problematic. Fireballs have a
low IR output, so you definitely don't want an IR filter. Fireballs
bright enough to be seen against the daytime sky are pretty rare (mag -8
or brighter), of course. I think the only filter that is likely to be
helpful is a polarizer, which will increase contrast against the sky
(but only in certain areas). Overall, however, you're probably better
off with no filters at all. I've observed Iridium flares with my video
allsky camera, and they are most easily seen without any filtering. This
also required using a manual iris and finding a narrow balance between
saturation and detection.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory