(meteorobs) Dark Subtracts with a typical allsky camera

kevin kell trekkerkev at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 11:42:54 EDT 2012

On 05/10/2012 10:40 AM, Chris Peterson wrote:
> Assuming you disable the autogain and use a manual shutter setting, you
> should be able to simply make a stacked dark frame and use it for all
> your shots. You probably won't see much difference due to temperature,
> but if you operate the camera over a wide range, you can make two or
> three master darks- cold, temperate, and hot, for instance.

good Q&A!  I have not been persuing dark frames mainly because of the
huge temperature range the camera goes over summer to winter.. ie
anywhere from +10 to -30 deg C.  Never thought of reducing each deg C to
a range like that.

Does anyone know of a way to automate the process of darkframing with a
series of say 300-400 images each night, preferably on a linux box.
Right now we are using the ImageMagick package to annotate and reduce
noise in a bash script.

--
Kevin Kell
Starlightcascade.ca Observatory&  Gardens