(meteorobs) Advice for capturing daytime visual fireballs?

Jay Salsburg jsalsburg at bellsouth.net
Wed Oct 17 18:55:42 EDT 2012

In the vernacular of Astronomy, use an artificial Eclipse. Having
refurbished large Telescopes and their Domes, I was interested in observing
Planets in the daytime. I learned to use an artificial Eclipse to assist
viewing the Planets in full sunlight, even Mercury near the sun. When I say
"Artificial Eclipse" I mean a shield to block out the sun. I used a black
tube extension over the Telescope inside the Telescope Dome and a black
umbrella on a Jib, however, this technique would scale well and not yield a
view of the entire Sky minus the Sun for an All-Sky Observatory. One thing
about an eclipse is that it works better when the object blocking the Sun is
far away from the Telescope or Camera. Both Newton and Galileo used towers
and trees to block out the Sun for daytime viewing and block The Moon at
night. Also I am sure the Atmosphere was more transparent then than now. I
can often see Venus and Jupiter at Noon with my unaided eye. On a rare
occasion at Noon, while in the Desert, I could see Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and
the Moon with my unaided eye. It would be quit a trick of modern innovation
to make a Controller/Mechatronic device to hover and orbit near an All-Sky
Observatory which puts a constant shadow on the Dome to block out the
unwanted effects of the Sun together with intelligent adjustment of the
Camera Iris to equalize the Video's dark Curve, but who am I to suggest such
a thing?

Jay Salsburg