(meteorobs) Radio meteor detection on DTV frequencies

Paul Goelz pgoelz at comcast.net
Thu Oct 18 19:08:35 EDT 2012

Folks,

I have been playing with a low cost Software Defined Radio using a
$20 digital TV receiver USB dongle.  Poking around the local DTV
frequencies looking at a 2MHz swath, I noticed that there was a
significant residual carrier even though the transmission is digital.

So today I tried using the carrier of a digital TV transmission to
detect meteors.  I'm near Detroit, and listening on the carrier
frequency of each unoccupied channel I found one at 192.310 MHz
(tuned to 192.309 USB) that seemed to have a bit of flutter on it (as
opposed to a steady tone on some others that could be leakage from
local cable TV).  Plotting it for a while in Spectrum Lab showed
quite a few airplanes but no meteors (yet).  Understandable because
the airplanes were weaker than they are at 55MHz.  Assume the meteors
are as well at that frequency.  And the antenna is a 2M ham antenna,
so it is nowhere near optimum for 192MHz.

But this is progress.

Paul

Paul Goelz
pgoelz at comcast.net