(meteorobs) Orionid Obs. 10/21/12 - Greenbelt, MD

George Gliba gliba at milkyway.gsfc.nasa.gov
Mon Oct 22 10:21:29 EDT 2012

                 Wayne T. Hally Memorial Orionid Watch
                    City of Greenbelt Observatory
             October 20/21, 2012 - Greenbelt, Maryland

      It was nice and clear here in Greenbelt yesterday morning;
so I was able to observe locally for an hour for a Wayne T. Hally
Memorial Orionid Watch, as I wasn't able to get to really dark skies.
However, I did see fair Orion activity, but their brightness was
less than a usual maximum I thought. Anyway under clear unobstructed
skies, facing south from 8:01 to 9:01 UT I was able to observe 12
Orionids, three Taurids, two Leo Minorids, a couple Elsilon Geminids,
and four sporadics, with a LM=5.2 due to light pollution. The average
Orionid was about 2.6 magnitude, and there was only two that were of
first magnitude. The nicest meteor was a nice 0 magnitude Epsilon
Geminid, that had a yellow-orange color and a 4 second train, high up
in the WNW at 8:40 UT. Below is a more complete breakdown of activity
observed.

10/21/12 - FOV=5.8+10 - Facing South, Obst 0% - some light pollution

Time (UT)  LM  Obst. NTA STA ORI EGE LMI SPO Total    Comments
8:01-9:01  5.2  0%    1   2  12   2   2   4   23   light pollution

Magn. Distributions 10/21/12, 0% obst. (8:01-9:01 UT, LM=5.2)
       0  1  2  3  4  Total  Ave.
NTA   1  0  0  0  0    1    0.0
STA   0  1  0  0  1    2    2.5
ORI   0  2  4  3  3   12    2.6