(meteorobs) Oct 22/23 Orionids from north Florida

Paul Jones jonesp0854 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 08:55:58 EDT 2012

Greetings again all,
      You gotta love Florida weather.  It leaves the weather guessers
around here looking somewhat clueless most of the time, even with all their
millions of dollars in high tech gadgetry.  It's a standing joke among
Floridians. This morning was yet another case in point.   Just when they
said coastal clouds would be increasing, they went away
completely!
I had given up hope of observing this morning based on the forecasts, but
when I looked out just before 5:30 a.m. it was clear as a bell, so I
quickly ascended to my trusty rooftop for another hour of checking out
the Orionids and was able to put in my Third 2012 Wayne T. Hally Memorial
Orionid Meteor Watch.
As had been the case with the first two watches, the Orionids did show up
nicely, but were weaker and fainter than what I saw from last year's
shower.  No matter, it is always awesome to get out under the stars and to
have another chance to honor meteor Wayne and all the fine work he has done
for our beloved hobby.   Here is what I had:

0930 - 1030 UT (0530 - 0630 EDT) Observer:  Paul Jones, Location:  5 miles
SW of St. Augustine, Florida, Teff 1.0, LM 6.2 Sky conditions:  Clear,
Facing south.

18 Orionids  Mags: +2 (2), +3 (7), +4 (6), +5 (3)
3 epsilon Geminids  Mags: +2 (1), +3 (2)
3 south Taurids  Mags:  + 1 (1). +2 (1), +3 (1)
1 Leonis Minorid  Mag:  +2
7 sporadics  Mags:  +2 (1), +3 (3), +4 (2), +5 (1)

32 total meteors

As has been the norm this year, the Orionids were mostly very faint,
although 8 of the 18 left trains.  Even though I found this year's shower
to be less impressive than last year's, I always love observing the
Orionids.  They are such a challenge!  They test observer skill,
fortitude and patience to the max.   They make you work hard for each and
every one you see and the marvelous backdrop of the winter Milky Way and
all the blazing constellations is fantastic.  Too bad next year they are
near Full Moon.  We'll have to wait until 2014 to see them well again...
Looking forward now to the November New Moon period - Taurids and Leonids,
baby!

Clear skies, Paul in St. Augustine