(meteorobs) The best Meteor detector on Earth

CheekyGeek cheekygeek at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 09:20:10 EDT 2012

It might be worth considering, in this age of budget cuts, whether your
laudable goals might have unintended consequences. You might put a system
that is on no "bean counter's" radar under scrutiny for shutdown,
particularly if you make your case that there is no ancillary National
Security benefits from the project.

You may be thinking of how NOAA freely shares much of its weather data as
the model for your NAVASPASUR data sharing plan. But weather has the
general public's interests and direct benefit on its side. Only a small
fraction of us care about meteor data.

Perhaps an intermediate step might be to try to get the government to share
the data with university research departments. It should be easier to get
university faculty members, department chairs, Deans, etc. to sign a
petition for such a data sharing initiative (or start with a "pilot
program". Nothing involving government/politics happens overnight ( except
violent overthrow). To achieve your goal I would recommend plotting out the
necessary " baby steps".