(meteorobs) Meteorobs - Locating six meter (50mhz) becons

David McCarter dmccarter at sympatico.ca
Mon Sep 17 10:43:01 EDT 2012

Nice map.  Some years ago I looked into building and operating a 250
watt 6m beacon, driving a five element beam. Taking coax losses into
account the final ERP would have been a bit over a kilowatt.  The beam
would have been pointed east north east from my EN92 location,
favoring receivers in Nova Scotia for meteors mid way between.  Others
in my neighbourhood objected as it would block local receivers and
degrade their, and my, ability to operate on 6 meters.

Then the CMOR ( Canadian Meteor Orbit Radar) started up their three
frequency pulsed meteor radar just 75km to my north east.  Their
signal is strong when aircraft fly overhead, and faint meteors return
a useable signal. Otherwise my six foot high dipole does not get a
signal.

Look them up.  The 17MHz signal should be heard at good distance.

Dave