(meteorobs) Meteorobs - Locating six meter (50mhz) becons

drobnock drobnock at penn.com
Mon Sep 17 11:15:39 EDT 2012

The difficulty in finding suitable frequencies for meter scatter work on
a non governmental level is becoming difficult. It may be possible for a
group such as the AMS/IMO to work with an organization such as the ARRL
or a related organization to establish a series of 10 to 6 meter or other
transmitter on a special license
(http://www.arrl.org/part-97-amateur-radio and see 47 CFR 74 -
EXPERIMENTAL RADIO, AUXILIARY, SPECIAL BROADCAST AND OTHER PROGRAM
DISTRIBUTIONAL SERVICES at http://www.gpo.gov/) to operate within the
allocated radio spectrum to have continuous transmitters for continued
amateur / professional research related to meteor scatter since the
digital signals are now prelevant.

As an aside  to the amateur radio beacons,  in 1947,  a 950 watts 11
meter transmitter was set up to
(http://leonid.arc.nasa.gov/GlobalMSNet/QST-July-1947.htm)

"It has been found that the ratio of whistles to bursts is rather sharply
dependent on the operating wavelength. If one listens to short-wave
broadcasting stations in the 25- or 31-meter bands, one hears a
relatively large number of whistles as compared to the bursts, although
the latter are somewhat obscured by the variable "long-scatter" signal
always present. Many of the whistles last as long as one or two seconds.
In the 27-Mc. band, however, the whistles are less frequent than the
bursts and they are of shorter duration. It is likely that at still
higher frequencies (say 100 Mc. or so) whistles would be heard much less
frequently, if at all. The bursts also become of shorter duration as the
frequency is increased. At 27 megacycles, the average burst is about half
a second in duration. At 50 megacycles, they appear to be still shorter.
When the receiver beat oscillator is off, bursts sound like a "thump";
with the beat oscillator on, they sound like a sharp "ping." "

Interesting comment about the 25 (11650 to 11975 kHz) - or 31 (9500 to
9900 kHz)-meter bands.

George John Drobnock