(meteorobs) Meteors Obs, 9/16/12 - Mathias, WVa

George Gliba gliba at milkyway.gsfc.nasa.gov
Mon Sep 17 13:14:45 EDT 2012

   Screech Owl Hill Observatory, Mountain Meadows
               Mathias, West Virginia
                September 15/16, 2012

We had partly coudy to mostly cloudy conditions all
night. However, I was lucky to catch a clear but partly
hazy sky from 6:59 to 7:59 UT. I was able to get an hour
of formal meteor observing between sucker holes. I was
able to see 15 meteors. They were mostly sporadic meteors,
but the nicest meteor was a nice 0 magnitide early Orionid
seen at 7:20 UT. Two Southern Taurids and one September
Lyncid meteors were also seen, along with 10 sporadics.
The most beautiful meteor was a 2nd magnitude blue-green
colored sporadic meteor with a 3 second train seen at
7:23 UT.

09/16/12 - FOV=Various - Facing East
Time (UT)  LM  Obst. STA SPE ORI SLY SPO Total Comments
6:59-7:59  5.5  25%   2   1   1   1  10   15   some haze

Magn. Distributions 09/16/12, 25% obstruction
(6:59-7:59 UT LM=5.5)
      0   1   2   3   4   5 total Ave.
STA  0   0   0   1   1   0   2   3.5
SPE  0   0   0   0   1   0   1   4.0