(meteorobs) The best Meteor detector on Earth

Jay Salsburg jsalsburg at bellsouth.net
Mon Sep 17 23:49:43 EDT 2012

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/news/press-releases/2012/march/0306-ms2-spa
ce-fence-radar-prototype-tracking-orbiting-objects.html

Thanks goes out to the Meteor Science and Observing Group for the relevant
information.

The so-called "Space Fence" is a PR phrase for something that does not
exist, at least for Meteor Observers like NAVSPASUR does at present. To
quote the above Web Page.

"Space Fence will enable the decommissioning of the aging U.S.-based Air
Force Space Surveillance System (AFSSS), originally installed in 1961." I
assume the reference to AFSSS is a reference to the NAVSPASUR System.

Notice there are no details about the Contracts, the Technology, or even any
locations. The information presented in this web site is glossy Madison
Avenue Public Relations. None of this Multi-Billion Dollar new-tech will be
available to us Meteor Nerds.

This calls for a whole new approach. My original thought was to create a
network using NAVSPASUR receivers. Forward Scatter RADAR is not a (real)
network because the DATA is impossible collate. Pulse-Doppler RADAR DATA is
colatable (colatable may not be a real word). Anyhow, I will begin studying
the possibility of creating a Pulse-Doppler RADAR device, may be easier than
a NAVSPASUR receiver.