(meteorobs) Weekend Sporadics Meteors Radio Detection

Raydel Abreu (CM2ESP) cm2esp at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 09:40:48 EDT 2013

I see Thomas,

But unfortunatelly both master stations Boise, Idaho and Ogden, Utah are
over 2100 miles, according to SNOTEL info on the internet, max range is
1200 miles. Perhaps that's for reliable communication only...

Taking into account the antenna pointing formula found here (
http://www.k5kj.net/meteor.htm).

Pointing Angle = arctan (met height / half dist.)
Pointing Angle = arctan ( 60 / 1150 )
Pointing Angle = 2.98 degrees.

So antenna should be pointing almost horizontal picking noise from all my
city. There should be a tiny chance, but i don't know if the intensity of
the echoes after so many distance will be enough to be over the city noise,
antenna should be quite big.

Theoretically it could be done, but i guess it is beyond my technical
posibilities.

Has anyone on the list have tried picking meteors at distances over 2000
miles???

Any thoughts or advices???

Thanks,

Raydel