(meteorobs) Weekend Sporadics Meteors Radio Detection

Thomas Ashcraft ashcraft at heliotown.com
Fri Apr 12 17:18:40 EDT 2013

On 4/12/13 12:30 14000, Jean-L. RAULT wrote:
> As far as I know, the Snotel network is dedicated to snow measurements.
> And as far as I know, there is not so much snow in the Cuba area :o)
>
> Jean-Louis

Salut Jean-Louis,

In the eastern US the system is called SCAN  - /Soil Climate Analysis
Network///. This particular system monitors soil moisture at remote
locations and sends data back to be analyzed. It is kind of neat that
they use meteors as the radio reflector.

Monitoring snow pack and soil moisture are important in the these days
of exceptional drought and wild fire.

Thomas in New Mexico