(meteorobs) Weekend Sporadics Meteors Radio Detection

Raydel Abreu (CM2ESP) cm2esp at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 17:10:43 EDT 2013

Hello Thomas,

I'm sorry not been able of reply earlier. I was on an speleological
expedition and i have just return.

Just for testing the level of noise and interference i build a simple
dipole and i get disappointed because just 5 KHz below at 40.665 i could
listen my neighbor cordless phone at FM, due to the phone's high FM
deviation at 40.670 there were several splatters. I guess a higher gain
antenna will pick further away phones!!!

It's getting harder and harder to found suitable transmitters. I tried on a
clean TV at 187.250 MHz but there were still a too high level copy of the
direct signal, i guess the transmitters is not so far away as required...

However there were some improvements i made with VOR transmitters, after
replacing the dipole for a two element antenna the direct signal decrees
and the number of meteors pings is higher, of course, there is also the
possibility that the higher meteor counts is related to the closeness of
the Lyrids shower... I hope to add a two directors to the antenna and see
what i get.

Best regards,

Raydel