(meteorobs) Lyrid maximum from southern Maryland

Richard Taibi rjtaibi at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 22 13:56:04 EDT 2013

In the last 30 years, since I started doing meteor watches in southern MD, the weather has been usually uncooperative for the Lyrid maximum.  This year was a pleasant exception and I watched for the Lyrids this morning about the time of the brief moonless and pre-astronomical twilight 'window.' The session was from 349 am-515 a.m. EDT (749-915 UT).  I was pleased to see six LYRs and surprised to see that they were quite bright, with one -3 fireball at 756 UT.   The International Meteor Organization's Calendar indicated that the shower's maximum rate would be between 4 and 15 hours UT (midnight 4/22-11 a.m. EDT 4/22) with a possible slightly higher-max at 1130 UT (730 a.m. EDT).  So my observation session was just before the 'sweet spot' of 1130 UT.  Considering that the maximum was under way when I watched, it may explain the three minus-magnitude LYRs I saw. As usual my observation site was at Bel Alton, MD: 76d 59m West longitude and 38d 28 m North latitude, elevation of 10 meters.  No clouds were present during the entire session.  Field center was approximatly southern Cygnus, near Albireo all session. Period I was dominated by the setting gibbous moon, from 749-818 UT.  Limiting magnitude was 4.66. LYRs: -3 and +1SPOradics/ non-shower meteors: +1 and +2Total= 4 meteors Period II was 818-849 UT and Lm was 5.00; it occupied the moonless period.LYRs: +2 and +3SPO: +2Total= 3  Period III was 849-915 UT; Lm was 4.81 magnitude.  This period was affected by astronomical twilight which began at 846 UT.  Nautical twilight was due at 921 UT.LYR: -2 and -1SPO: +2 (3 of them) and +4Total= 6 I hope that Kyra will report on the fireball seen in Missouri.  The time mentioned was 543 a,m. CDT (1043 UT) and closer to the IMO maximum rate sweet spot; perhaps there were other really bright Lyrids around 1130 UT? Rich