(meteorobs) Radio Meteor positioning???

James Beauchamp falcon99 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 24 15:19:32 EDT 2013

Hi Raydel,

I had looked at this a few years ago.  There are a couple of options you may be able to model...

1.  Frequency Domain.  If the location of the transmitter and recievers are known, and the target is moving, you can solve using the doppler shift (Range Rate).  In a bi-static topology, the solution would be the intersection of the doppler planes.  The only drawback is that you need a set of receivers with very good frequency stability - (or if you can see the carrier, a good method to extract the dF = Fn - F0 value) and the ambiguities would require heavy analysis.  When i put the idea down on paper a few years ago, i didn't go very deep on the options and deep calculations, so there are probably several ways to do it.  initially, I started with the idea of Geodetic to ECEF, solving for the intersections of the doppler planes, and then translating back to geo.  It gets hairy with all the doppler skew.  You might also be able to apply some advanced ray-trace or polarmetric methods, maybe even doing something exotic with local level coordinates along the
 TX-RX intersection lines.  The biggest challenge is the velocity.  But this should be solvable with m >> n stations and statistical work.

2.  Time.  Probably too complex and expensive to do with hobby equipment, but much easier on the processing side.  The bistatic range is measured directly instead of estimated, and velocity induced ambiguities are minimized.  But the expense is high.

Again, i didn't dive too deeply in it.  Sounds like a great idea for a scientific paper - if at least to introduce the possible options.