(meteorobs) Aug 7/8, 2013 PER observations from north Florida- PERS heating up!

Paul Jones jonesp0854 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 08:16:26 EDT 2013

Greetings all,
   Following up on Pierre M.'s excellent report on his observing
session from Aug. 4/5 up up north, I now submit mine from this
morning, three days hence.
   I got out on my trusty rooftop "meteor perch" here in St. Augustine
for the last ninety minutes of darkness before twilight interfered and
watched PER rates nudge a bit over twenty an hour.  Also, I bagged my
first PER fireball of my 2013 PER campaign.
   I signed on at 0400 EDT (0800 UT) and the hour got off to a very
fast start promptly at 0407, as I caught a stunning -4 PER fireball,
light up a path from Cassiopeia to Cygnus along the summer Milky Way.
I had hardly had a chance to even settle down and fully dark adapt!
Like the -3 PER I had seen previously, this meteor flashed and flared
up to -2 along its path and then ended in the -4 terminal burst.  What
a "light show" this baby put on indeed and the train lasted for
several seconds on the sky!
   After I settled down from the fireball, the PERs stayed pretty
active for most of the rest of the watch, although most of the rest of
them I saw were mild and somewhat mundane compared to that "highlight
reel" beauty!  I again noticed the familiar PER "clumping" effect,
where three or four PERs would be seen within a couple of minutes of
each other, followed by several minute lulls.  That pretty much held
throughout the 90 minute session. Here's my data:

Aug 7/8, 2013, Observer, Paul Jones, Location: 5 miles SW of St.
Augustine, Florida. LM: 6.0, clear, Facing: south

0400 - 0500 EDT (0800 - 0900 UT) Teff: 1.0 No breaks
15 PER
1 ERI
1 SDA
9 SPO
26 total meteors

0500 - 0530 EDT (0900 - 0930 UT) Teff: .5  hour No breaks
11 PER
4 SPO
15 total meteors.

Mags:

PER: -4(1), +1(1), +2(5), +3(7), +4(7), +5(5)
ERI: +3(1)
SDA: +3(1)
SPO: 0(1), +3(3). +4(5), +5(4)

If twilight had not begun to interfere, I'm sure I could have easily
topped 20 an hour PERs, which isn't too shabby considering we are
still a few days away from the actual peak.  I may be wishful thinking
a bit here, but it seems to me the PERs may be headed to a great year
in 2013!   Weather permitting, I'll be back out there again in the
morning.  This is what it's all about, baby...;o).

Clear skies to all, Paul in north Florida