(meteorobs) Aug. 8/9, 2013 PER observation for north Florida - PERs top 20 an hour!

Paul Jones jonesp0854 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 08:03:32 EDT 2013

Greetings again list,
     We had the crystal clear skies of the Bermuda High roll in over us
yesterday here in north Florida and that resulted in an amazing two hour
pre-max PER watch for me this morning.
What a difference a mere half magnitude of LM can make to the meteor
counts!  All the shreds of cirrus haze that had been lingering over us for
days were swept away and the sky opened up like a dirty window being
cleaned to perfection! Meteors were flying everywhere!
I had 76 meteors in all during the two hours and the PERs totaled 18 and
23, respectively.  I also had my first lovely, kappa Cygnid as well.  What
an awesome session that kept me busy the entire 120 minutes!  Here's the
data:

Aug 8/9, 2013 Observer: Paul Jones, Location: 5 miles SW of St. Augustine,
Florida, LM: 6.5, clear Facing: south

0315 - 0415 EDT (0715 - 0815 UT)  Teff: 1.0 No Breaks
18 PER
1 ERI
1 KCG
1 ANT
3 SDA
14 SPO
38 total meteors

0415 - 0515 EDT (0815 - 0915 UT) Teff: 1.0 No Breaks
23 PER
2 SDA
1 CAP
1 ATR
11 SPO
38 total meteors

Mags:
PER: 0 (1), +1(4), +2(8), +3(10), +4(9), +5(9)
SDA: +2(1), +3(1), +4(1), +5(2)
ANT: +4
CAP: -1
ATR: +2
KCG: +2
SPO: +1(2), +2(4), +3(5), +4(9), +5(5)

None of the PERs reached negative magnitudes for me this morning.  The
highlights were all non-PERs.  The gorgeous KCG shot slowly through almost
twenty degrees of sky in Pegasus and ended in a burst of sparks.   The -1
CAP near there end of the second hour shot through over 4 degrees of sky
with a spreading train and a deep yellow color.  The SDAs continue to hang
in there with a couple of nice off speed meteors shooting right back at the
PER radiant.
I also had two or three long, bright SPOs come up out of the deep south far
below Cetus.  Anything going on down there?  The PERS did not show much
clumping effect this morning, instead they were amazingly evenly spread out
through the two hour period.   The alpha Triangulid was a nice meteor very
close to the projected radiant.  I'll keep an eye out for more of them.
Here's hoping the blessed Bermuda High will hold for us for a few more days!

More later (hopefully), Paul in north Florida