(meteorobs) Open letter to Congress

Jay Salsburg jsalsburg at bellsouth.net
Sat Aug 10 21:25:50 EDT 2013

Below is a copy of a letter I sent to my Representative to Congress, please
forward a copy to your Representative or a version of your own.

------------------------

What was called NAVSPASUR, is being defunded and abandoned as soon as
October after more than 50 years of reliable service. Developed at the peak
of the Cold War in the 1960s, this Space RADAR System is more important than
ever. One important arm of National Security is obtaining reliable
information, for instance, possible attack on the Homeland and National
Interests from Space. With the possibility of these attacks higher than
ever, this system should not be shut down until there is a well-established
alternative in place and working for at least a few years. The other
indispensible function of NAVSPASUR is monitoring for cascade-failure space
debris generated by Low Earth Orbit Collisions, also an issue of National
Security.

Abandoning NAVSPASUR is like abandoning your home of 50 years for an
increase in cost of Electricity.

http://www.spacenews.com/article/military-space/36655shelton-orders-shutdown
-of-space-fence

Jay Salsburg