(meteorobs) Aug. 10/11, 2013 PER observations from north Florida - PERs top 40 an hour!

Paul Jones jonesp0854 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 11 10:27:49 EDT 2013

Greetings all,
     Well, the PERs really put on a great show this morning, even though my
skies were not quite as sharp for me as they were yesterday.  That didn't
seem to bother the PERs a bit, they just kept rolling right along. All
told, in two hours (0345 - 0545 EDT) I had 110 total meteors, with 74 of
them PERs.  The PER hourly counts for the two hours was 31 and 43,
respectively.
Once again, I had no PERs reach negative magnitudes for me, but many were
bright, colorful and showy anyway.  The kappa Cygnids really stole the
highlight reel from the PERs again this morning.  I only had two of them,
but they both were whoppers!  The first was a gorgeous -2, bronzy gold
beauty of a meteor that flashed, sparked and flared through over thirty
degrees of sky and left a long, spreading train.  The other was a -1 that
looked just like the first one.  This radiant is such an amazing bonus to
be seen during the PERs and I urge all observes to keep them in mind while
out watching the PER max tonight and tomorrow night.

Here is my data from this morning:

Aug. 10/11, 2013 Observer: Paul Jones Location: 5 miles SW of St.
Augustine, Florida, LM: 6.2, clear Facing: south

0345 - 0445 EDT (0745 - 0845 UT) Teff: 1 hour, no breaks
31 PER
1 KCG
2 ANT
2 ATR
5 SDA
1 ERI
9 SPO
51 total meteors

0445 - 0545 EDT (0845 - 0945UT) Teff: 1 hour, no breaks
43 PER
1 SDA
1 KCG
2 ANT
12 SPO
59 total meteors

Mags:
PER: 0(5), +1(8), +2(15), +3(22), +4(15), +5(9)
SDA: +2(2), +3(3), +4(1)
ANT: +3(2), +4(2)
ATR: +3(2)
KCG: -2(1), -1(1)
ERI: +1
SPO: +1(1), +2(1), +3(6), +4(8), +5(5)

Many of the PERs showed varying shades of yellow to me and once again the
"clumping effect" was quite evident.  About 2/3s of all PERs I saw this
morning left trains, even some of the +3s.  The stage should be set tonight
for a memorable showing as the PERs were noticeably getting stronger as
twilight interfered.  Our weather here looks good, for the peak and I wish
everyone good luck and clear skies for tonight and tomorrow.  be sure to
share with us what you see!

Clear skies to all, Paul in north Florida.