(meteorobs) Aug. 12/13, 2013 PER observations from north Florida - Full data

Paul Jones jonesp0854 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 10:54:07 EDT 2013

Greeting again all,
     My eyes and brain are getting quite  work out these days!  Keeping up
with the totals from the 2013 Perseid shower is quite a chore indeed.  Call
it a labor of love... Here is the full data from my three hour watch from
this morning.  It will be long remembered.

Aug 12/13, 2013 Observer: Paul Jones Location: 5 miles SW of St. Augustine,
Florida LM: 6.0, clear Facing: south

0245 -0345 EDT (0645 - 0745 UT) Teff: one hour, no breaks
34 PER
3 SDA
1 ANT
1 ATR
10 SPO
49 total meteors

0345 - 0445 EDT (0745 - 0845 UT) Teff: one hour, no breaks
55 PER
1 SDA
2 ERI
1 KCG
10 SPO
69 total meteors

0445 - 0545 EDT (0845 - 0945 UT) Teff: one hour, no breaks
74 PER
11 SPO
85 total meteors

Mags:
PER: -4(1), -3(2), -2(4), -1(5), 0(8), +1(16), +2(28), +3(44), +4(39),
+5(16)
SDA: +2(1), +3(2), +4(1)
ANT: +3
KCG+ +4
ERI: +1. +2
SPO: +1(1), +2(5), +3(9). +4(8). +5(8)

I had 58% of the PERs I saw leaving trains this morning and the most
observed color from the PERs was definitely yellow, with an occasional
bluish tint thrown in on a couple of the brighter ones.  Lots of PER
clumping was noticed again, as many instances of three to four PERs hitting
in quick succession of a few seconds.  I did not see any simultaneous PERs,
however.
The numbers just don't tell the story.  It is the experience of witnessing
such a fabulous natural event that will stick with me.  And to think I
could have easily had twice as many total meteors had I gotten the max
night in is mindboggling.
With most of the upcoming major showers having moon problems this year,
looks like it will be until the 2014 Quadrantids now until we can see
another potentially great moon-free meteor showing.  We will however, have
a good look at the Taurids in 2013.  Could it be a "fireball year" for
them?  I plan to find out...

Clear skies, Paul in north Florida