(meteorobs) August Eridanids and 273P Pons-Gambart?

Roberto Gorelli md6648 at mclink.it
Tue Aug 13 11:37:26 EDT 2013

On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 17:14:06 +1000
  "Michael Mattiazzo" <mmatti at westnet.com.au> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Now that the orbit of comet 273P Pons-Gambart is now well
>determined,
> is the link with the august Eridanids confirmed?
> and would we expect enhanced activity at this time?
> I notice the MOID is 0.17AU so not likely to create meteor shower?
>
> regards,
> Michael Mattiazzo

Sorry for the bad English.

Each time that I see the Perseids from Italy I see too some Eridanids
coming from South and with a radiant under the horizon, Eridanids with
slow earthgrazing traiectories.

On the topic: too other comets doing origin to meteor showers have
today big MOIDs, the fact that 273P has today a MOID of 0.17 AU it's
not significative, perharps in the past this MOID was near zero.

On the specific topic: I'm doing a search for write the page on
Eridanids for italian Wiki
and I found that exist many meteor radiants in Eridanus in August, the
principal are Eta Eridanids and Epsilon Eridanids and .... their
parent it's not 273P! Their parent comets are probably the following

http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=C%2F1852+K1&orb=1

http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=C%2F1854+L1&orb=1

the second comet do origin at a meteor shower too on Mars.
But ... the two comet are parabolics! Perharps in reality they are
long period comets?
Best greetings.
Roberto Gorelli