(meteorobs) Quick Impression of Aug 13 Activity

Robert Lunsford lunro.imo.usa at cox.net
Tue Aug 13 16:23:17 EDT 2013

I arrived on Mt. Laguna shortly before midnight and I was surprised to see the number of cars parked in the pull-outs. There were more than the previous night. Usually the night after max only produces a handful of spectators. Instead of parking at the edge of my favorite site, I was forced to park in the middle of all the spectators. Usually after midnight people start heading home but this morning people were pulling in steadily through 3am and shining their headlights on all of us, which really helps the night vision. This was also the nosiest group I have ever encountered as I had to put my talking clock right up to my ear to hear it over the constant chatter and screaming that was going on. This group seemed a lot younger and they were shouting and screaming all morning long. It was really difficult to concentrate, especially during the first couple of hours. I have used this site hundreds of times and never encountered such a crowd. It sounds like I may need to find somewhere else during the Perseids as this situation was not conducive to serious observing.

Anyway, without having a chance to listen to my data yet I can guess that the sky was equal or maybe slightly darker than the previous night. Activity was good the first hour but there were often long gaps of inactivity. The minor showers seemed more active this morning. As the night progressed I had the feeling that Perseid activity was actually decreasing. The bright Perseids were certainly less this morning as were the dimmest ones. Still, it was a good show and those who ventured out of the city to view the show seemed to have a good time.

I don't know when I will have the time to record my data as I still have to get my Aug 12 session posted to the IMO site. I also have a ton of fireball reports waiting for me on the AMS site so it may take some time before I find time to post my actual Aug 13 results.

Robert Lunsford